Although the installation on my new notebook went smoothly, I didn’t have the same luck with my desktop.
The installation took forever and in the end I got a error message regarding missing components.
I tried it over and over, searched the web, read and tried everything I could find.
The Creative Suite 3 cleanup script was no solution…
Then I came across this technote: ‘Error “Licensing for this product has stopped working” when you start any Adobe Creative Suite 3 application’ – whose title doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the problem but the solution – uninstalling the Macromedia Flash Player 8 – worked.
The instructions to uninstall the Macromedia Flash Player 8 using the Windows Install Clean Up utility – msicuu2.exe – is in the middle of the technote, so make sure you read it carefully.