Adobe CS3 Installation Problems

Although the installation on my new notebook went smoothly, I didn’t have the same luck with my desktop.

The installation took forever and in the end I got a error message regarding missing components.
I tried it over and over, searched the web, read and tried everything I could find.
The Creative Suite 3 cleanup script was no solution…
Then I came across this technote: ‘Error “Licensing for this product has stopped working” when you start any Adobe Creative Suite 3 application’ – whose title doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the problem but the solution – uninstalling the Macromedia Flash Player 8 – worked.

The instructions to uninstall the Macromedia Flash Player 8 using the Windows Install Clean Up utility – msicuu2.exe – is in the middle of the technote, so make sure you read it carefully.

About nuno mira

flash developer
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Adobe CS3 Installation Problems

1. Masaki says:

I had the same problem also… spent almost a full day trying to figure out why CS3 would not install. Google tons of pages and reading at Adobe Tech Forum with no answers!

My CS3 would start the installation preparation till the window disappear and that would be it! No Error message or notification of any kind.

Well I’m glad I came across your web page while Googling around for a solution! I uninstall Flash Player and to be safe I also uninstall Macromedia Shockwave which both can easily be reinstalled later. Restart after the uninstall and *Bang* completed the installation without any errors!

I normally don’t post reply to things like this but I must say thank you to you! If I didn’t come across this blog I might of had to reformat which would be a waste of time to me. Also to let people know that if they are having problems installing CS3, this is one solution which work for me and might be the solution to those who are having this problem. Adobe should have this posted in their forum as a possible solution for those with installation problem. Well Thank You Again!!!

2. Heather says:

I’m having problems installing CS3 as well. I’m trying to understand what you guys are talking about. I should try uninstalling the Flash PLAYER and Shockwave? I never used the beta version, and I’ve tried installing it on a clean boot, but that didn’t work either. I try to install the CS3 Design Bundle and the only components that will install are the Flash encoder and Acrobat Pro. There are no error messages just that the rest failed to install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Barry Hills says:

Hi Heather-

There is an Adobe technote that provides detail on the best way to uninstall Flash Player prior to installing CS3.

The are a couple of registry conflicts that get resolved using Adobe’s uninstaller (and the new Flash Player 9 gets installed with CS3)

One other thing, if you have Acrobat 8, make sure you update to the latest version 8.1 (free update)

Adobe’s tech support has been working on this issue and has streamlined their trouble shooting methods and tools so if this doesn’t work you should give them a call.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Barry

4. diego says:

Hey

Ive been having the same problem as heather and ive already tried uninstalling all adobe components and the same thing keeps happening, only flash encoder, and acrobat get installed. i also tried downloading illustrator alone and that as well does the same thing when i try to install it. any walk through steps or ideas on what it is that messing it up?

5. Barry Hills says:

If you email me your contact info (bhills@adobe.com) I can call you and see if we can get you back up and running.

Thanks,

Barry

6. Jamie says:

I have the same problem …cant figure it out… I had Flash CS3 installed…did a system recovery…now it doesnt work …someone please help i was in the middle of a big project !!!!!

7. Barry Hills says:

Hi Jamie-

Not sure if you saw the previous email, but please send me an email with your contact info and I will work with you to get you back up and running (bhills@adobe.com).

I have called back everyone who has sent me email and so far we have gotten everyone past their installation problems.

Please put “Installation issue: ” in the title of the email so help me find those emails more quickly.

Thanks,

Barry

8. kingy says:

The root of the problem is the Macromedia Flash 8 player.

1) First, if you haven’t already, uninstall CS3 using Add/Remove programs.

2) Download the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:

3) Double click on “msicuu2.exe” and install the utility.

4) Launch the utility (Start > Programs > “Windows Install Clean Up”) and select each and every instance you may have of the Flash 8 Player and select Remove. Do not select Flash 8 the program or Flash 8 Video Encoder — only the Player. For me, I had two instances of it.

5) Now try installing CS3 again.

9. Dawid says:

I also spent a full day trying to install CS3 (actually, the first few hours were spent trying to repair windows XP after the first attempt at installing CS3 totally ‘broke’ the computer – I couldn’t get into windows, not even in safe mode).

Anyway, the above-mentioned Flash Player thing worked for me, though not exactly as described above. Two of the files that were supposed to be deleted by the above-linked Adobe uninstaller refused to be deleted. I couldn’t even delete them manually in Windows explorer. The only way I could delete them was to go to the recovery console (by booting up with the Windows XP CD-ROM, and pressing ‘r’ when prompted), going to the directory in question, and deleting them using the “dir” command (and turning off their read-only status using the “attrib” command). After I did that, the CS3 install worked perfectly.

If you want to know whether it’s this Flash player issue that is the problem for you, without having to go through the laborious process of uninstalling and installing CS3 again, then I suggest this:

-go to the “start” menu and select “run”
    -type “eventvwr” and press enter
    -when the window opens, click on “application”
    -on the right, scroll down the list of events
    -look for an error with “MsiInstaller” as the source (look for a red X)
    -double click the error to see details
    -if there is something in the details about Flash Player (there was for me), then the above-mentioned issue may well be what’s happening.

Hope that helped someone

10. TimP says:

This website has a whole list of possible fixes for Adobe CS3 install problems – I managed to get my install working thanks to them:

11. Sinan says:

Hello everyone and I feel all your pain guys, I had flash cs3 running fine until something went wrong ! so i decided to uninstall it and reinstall…and hat was a bad idea ! anyway, after 5 days and long nights trying to figure a way to install it along with the decoder and flash player 9 I SOLVED IT …IT WORKS…I couldn’t believe myself and now it is 1am and so tired but I said I have to post this hoping it might help someone ! OK…

1) install CCleaner (crapcleaner) from this link : http://www.ccleaner.com/ run it and then do a registry clean (I’m not responsible for any wrong that might occur from messing with the registry) but it should be safe enough.
    2) go to X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data and inside that folder you will find the ugly Flash CS3 folder DELETE that Flash CS3 folder NOTE: X:\ is where you have your operating system installed
    3) run the flash setup! what are you waiting for !
    4) do all the prayers you know and hope for the best ! by the end hopefully you will see that green bar goes all the way till the end and it will say all has been installed and you only need to restart. GOOD LUCK. For any comments or you would like more info, I would help you as much as I can. You can contact me at (design AT SinanGhareb.com)

12. Sinan says:

sorry…I made a mistake with the folder name (it is late at night and im very exhausted from all the projects ;) )

the correct path is : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe and THEN inside that you will find the Flash CS3 folder and delete that one

sorry about that

13. solution says:

How to install Adobe CS3 (Master Collection etc…) :
    _______________________________________________

– CS3 Clean Script mehrfach laufen lassen, versch, Levels, auch Level 4!
    – CCleaner immer wieder zwischendurch – Registry cleanen
    – zusätzlich TuneUp Utilities, -> Registry Cleaner
    – Flash Uninstall program
    – manuell auf Systemlaufwerk nach Dateien mit “flash” im Namen suchen, reinschauen ob etwas mit PCMCIA/Cardreader (also Treiber für PC-Hardware) drin steht, falls nicht: löschen!
    – in windows\system32 den Ordner “Macromed” mit Inhalt “Flash” löschen!
    – checken ob auf Adobe CD/DVD die Datei “D:\Adobe CS3\Adobe CS3\payloads\AdobeBridge2All\AdobeBridge2All1.cab” evtl. defekt ist, ggfs. austauschen/Ersatzdatei besorgen!
    – jeweils zwischendurch CCleaner durchlaufen lassen, Registry säubern und nach dem säubern, Neu Starten, nochmals checken!
    – evtl. Install Ordner evtl. auf Festplatte kopieren und von dort installieren! (auch Zwecks austauschs der AdobeBridge2All1.cab)
    – nach gescheiterten Installversuchen immer die installierten komponenten deinstallieren, alles erneut säubern mit allen Methoden, und die Adobe ordner löschen in: “c:\programme\gemeinsame dateien” UND in “D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Anwendungsdaten”. Danach natürlich erneut CS3CleanScript ausführen und CCleaner etc…

zusätzlich: möglichst vorher kein Flash installieren, auch keine andere Adobe Software oder Betas….

(=> Vorgehen hat zum Erfolg geführt; mlglicherweise sind einzelne Schritte nicht unbedingt notwendig but probably “highly recommanded”.)

o. http://www.file-upload.net/download-669910/guide-tools-for-AdobeCS3-install.rar.html

14. SomiZoli says:

Hi everyone!
    I hope You can help me!
    Problem with the install? NO!
    I cant start the apps. Installed CS3, Cant start After Effects, SoundBooth. It just freezes while booting. AE 7.0 works. So I dont know, what to do. Oh, by the way, I installed to a very fresh, newly installed XP!
    Please help me, if You can!
    THX!

15. Marijn Mengerink says:

Ok, so i got Flash CS3 Pro now. After waiting for a long time i finnaly had it. So i ran the installation, clicked all installation features and clicked install.

Well everthing seemed fine, i turned off the screen and watched tv, but when i got back it said that the components and cs3 flash couldnt be installed. (i however did install things like bridge cs3 and video encoder)

So.. i was kinda angry, searched the internet, uninstalled all cs3, used the cleanup tool (twice) rebooted and ran the install again. Same problem, everything installed exept the components and the most important one FLASH CS3 ITSELF!

I was getting mad now, searched the internet again,
    Uninstalled all adobe even all the macromedia that was on my pc, (Unistalled flash 8 pro) unistalled ALL adobe, ran the adobe cleanup tool (twice again) rebooted the pc and started the installation. AGAIN!! GRRRR… IM GETTING SICK OF IT!!

checked my logs and got this:

great, so im stuck with 2 install errors

anyone got an idea????? (and not getting a new pc or reinstalling the entire pc or something like that)

I tried downloading pro trial 2 times and install the too, gave the same problem. and the 2 log errors from the link above.. well i get the same error everytime i try to install it.

16. Eldados says:

thank you for the info.
    this is an absolute disgrace from Adobe. we paid so much money for a program that does not install and on top of that have to spend a whole day deleting, uninstalling and trying to figure out what the hell is going on!!
    the adobe web site, has to be the worst web site ever! for a company that made a fortune developing applications for the web. they manage to actually build the slowest most useless web site!
    If it wasn’t for the lack of competition (which they managed to destroy) they would have been long gone as a company!
    God, I hate them…

17. bil says:

kb401521 really helps for me..

Solution
    Disclaimer: This procedure involves editing the Windows registry. Adobe doesn’t support editing the registry, which contains critical system and application information. For information on the Windows Registry Editor, see the documentation for Windows or contact Microsoft Technical Support.
    Manually register the jscript.dll file.

On Windows Vista32:

Choose Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    Right-click the Command icon, choose Run As Administrator, and authenticate.
    Navigate to Windows\System32.
    At the prompt, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press Enter.
    When a dialog box with the message “DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded” appears, click OK.

and its working perfectly..
    wow!!

18. PST says:

Hello, guys, I have the same problem since last weeks.
    However, I checked and there is no any kind of flash player in my PC that installed.
    What else could be the reason that causing this?

19. mandaer says:

hi everyone.
    can anyone please help me out in it.
    I install flash CS3 and apply patch to it but when i run flash.exe it gives me an error that “Licencing for this product has stopped working. U can not use this product at this time. You can repair the program by uninstalling and reinstalling the program”. The same program was working fine before but after i installed the windows Xp and service pack 2 that I getting this error.

20. Bob says:

Hy guys..i can’t get anything working from adobe..i tried everyting above but it didn’t work…please help..i really need it! Thanks

21. Ben says:

Hey! I’m in a bit of a pinch! I do pretty much all my work with CS3 (mainly After FX, Fireworks, Premiere, Flash, Photoshop, & Soundbooth). I had the licensing problem, and tried to reinstall. That didn’t work. So I tried to completely wipe CS3 from my computer (I’m not a genious with this stuff), and then install it again. Now I can’t install ANY of my programs I have listed. I’ve been tring to fix this for a week! Schoolwork and outside work has totally been backed up! Can you help? Anyone?

God Bless!
    Ben R.

22. Ben says:

Hey! OH MY GOD! I just tried reinstalling it one more time and IT WORKED!!! THANK YOU JESUS!

But this webpage is REALLY helpful!

God Bless!
    Ben R.

23. jake masson says:

I have the same problem as masaki with photoshop cs3… i load it up and click on setup… but it doesnt work. after about 3 seconds it just goes off, no error message or anything. and so far ive tried everything suggested in this forum. ive got ccleaner and used that. ive deleted or uninstalled all adobe products that were on my comp and shockwave. also i checked and i didn’t have any instance of flash player 8. so i can’t deleet it… please help, i have no idea what to do now :S :(

24. Bryan says:

Hello,
    When I try to install CS3 I get all the way to click the install button and immediatly recieve error: please insert Abobe CS3 Design Premium Disk to continue…….
    Anyone else recieved this error. I tried unistalling abode components with no luck.
    Thanks,

25. Bryan says:

Hello,
    When I try to install CS3 I get all the way to click the install button and immediately receive error: please insert Adobe CS3 Design Premium Disk to continue…….
    Anyone else received this error. I tried uninstalling abode components with no luck.
    Thanks,

26. Adam says:

Sinan,

Like everyone else I am having this problem and I’d like to try your solution.

It looks like the path structure you’ve outlined is for XP. Any advice for Vista (other than not to use it)?

27. abed says:

i have the same problem
    but i cannot understand why i have this message :
    please insert flash proffisional cs3 then complete installing
    can i have any ideas about this … it is really bad

28. Romeo says:

Hi…!
    i Have a little problem on cs3.

so ! program tell me close msn and IE.

i close Msn but i can’t close IE .

Pls who know to close IE in Cs3 on vista64Bit tell me .
    PLS.

29. Santiago says:

Hi people, i tried installing adobe cs3 master everything goes fine i select all the programs. But all that installs is the shared components and adobe 8 professional, only bridge work. What can i do? plz, i have a windows xp service pack 3

30. J2f says:

bil says:
    Friday, 23 May 2008 at 22:46

kb401521 really helps for me..

Solution
    Manually register the jscript.dll file.

On Windows Vista32:

Choose Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    Right-click the Command icon, choose Run As Administrator, and authenticate.
    Navigate to Windows\System32.
    At the prompt, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press Enter.

and its working perfectly..
    wow!!

—————-
    This works on me.. :) thanks bill!

Comments are closed.